FAQ Roofing Questions Answered
Who doesn’t love a good home remodeling project? However, replacing a roof is often not as exhilarating as rebuilding a deck, or painting your living room a new shade of in. Replacing a roof is a considerable home improvement, and often a large investment into your home. It’s not often that you need to replace your roof, many homeowners may only have to once or twice during their duration of ownership. This means that many homeowners are left in the dark when it comes to the important variables of roof replacements. You deserve answers to your questions, such as, how to choose a roofing contractor? And which shingles should you use?
There is a lot that goes into a roof remodel, and here at Roof Masters, we will cover all of your most frequently asked questions, and where a good place to start is.
How do you know if you need a new roof?
From the day you install your new roof, up to 30 years is the roof life expectancy. However, on average many homeowners have stated that 12 years is the more realistic life expectancy for a roof. Here are some of the warning signs to look for when determining if it’s time to replace your roof.
- Curling shingles
- Loss of the asphalt granules (gives a patchy look to your roof)
- Evidence of leaking (most commonly found on your ceilings)
- Cracked or discolored walls (visible damages to your interior drywalls)
- Decayed shingles
- Missing shingles
- Heavy wind damages
- Broken shingles
- Rusted and/or missing flashing
If your roof is over 15 years old, it’s recommended that you call out a licensed roofing contractor to inspect your roof. There are times where damages to your roof are not visible from a naked eye at ground level. It’s important to resolve the issues early so that you can avoid a costly repair or roof replacement later.
Can I replace individual shingles, or do I have to have a total roof replacement if I notice any signs above?
That depends on if the roof in total is in prime or decent condition. If your roof’s integrity hasn’t been affected, then simple shingle replacement would be effective. If your contractor finds that there is damage to your roof more than just the shingles needing replacement, a total roof replacement may be recommended.
How much does a new roof cost on average?
Pricing varies for every customer depending on a few factors, such as:
- Shingle brand
- Grade of shingle
- Size of the roof
- Shape and slope of the roofline of your home
Other factors that are highly important to consider are the quality and professionalism of who you call to be your roofing contractor. You want to select a company that is known for quality workmanship and outstanding customer service. When replacing your roof, you want premium materials handled and serviced by quality contractors.
What type of roofing shingle is best for my roof and my budget?
Client needs vary from home to home. To best get a quote, and a material recommendation it’s advisable to seek the help of a certified roofing contractor to discuss your best options to fit your needs.
Do I need to replace my gutters and downspouts when replacing my roof?
In short, no it’s often not necessary if your gutters and downspouts are in good condition. If this is the case, our certified roofing contractors will work around them carefully to avoid any damages while replacing your roof. If we find that your gutters are in good shape, but are in need of a minor repair, we are available to do that too.
How long does it take to install a new roof?
On average it takes 3-4 days to complete roof installation. Of course, there are many factors that contribute to an accurate time frame. Things such as; weather or how much work are needed to roof replacement.
Do I need to prepare for the roof replacement prior to installation? If so, what is recommended to minimize inconveniences during the installation?
- Consider taking a short trip for a couple of hours once our roofing contractors begin.
- Keep your pets in mind, and make arrangements for them during the duration of the replacement.
- Park your vehicles in the street, this prevents you from getting nails, and other debris from damaging your cars.
- Put up valuables outside that you do not want to get damaged, clear the perimeter of your home.
- If you have a pool in your backyard, please place your pool cover over it for protection.
What will our contractors do prior to your roof installation?
- If your home has a garage, and it does not have a ceiling, our roofers will then place tarps to keep debris from falling inside your garage. Once the decking is installed, we then remove tarps and remove the debris and dust from the area.
- If you have a decorative driveway, we then cover the area with plywood in order to protect your driveway from wear and tear of the vehicles or any falling shingles or debris.
- If you do have a swimming pool, but do not have a cover, we will tarp it for you so that no damages are incurred during the installation.